P.E at English Martyrs is an important part of the curriculum as it contributes to the pupil’s physical and emotional development and health. It also supports children’s learning in other subject areas such as English, Maths and Science.
The teaching of physical activities aims to increase the pupil’s self-confidence and enable them to manage themselves successfully in a variety of situations. Lessons include a balance of individual, co-operative and competitive activities to cater for individual pupil’s needs and abilities. The areas covered throughout school are delivered at an appropriate level for the children with the aim of creating stimulating, challenging and enjoyable learning experiences for all. We want the children to see sport in a positive light, develop new skills and have fun!
Children in Years 1 to 6 are benefitting from P.E being taught, not only by their class teacher, but also P.E specialists from outside agencies as we are working together with Wakefield School Sports Partnership. This is giving the children the fantastic experience of being taught by different people, who are highly skilled, as well as giving them further opportunities to learn and develop their sporting skills and try something new.
At English Martyrs each child will have the opportunity to develop the following characteristics:
- The willingness to practice skills in a wide range of different activities and situations, alone, in small groups and in teams and to apply these skills in chosen activities to achieve exceptionally high levels of performance.
- High levels of physical fitness.
- A healthy lifestyle, achieved by eating sensibly, avoiding smoking, drugs and alcohol and exercising regularly.
- The ability to remain physically active for sustained periods of time and an understanding of the importance of this in promoting long-term health and well-being.
- The ability to take the initiative and become excellent young leaders, organising and officiating, and evaluating what needs to be done to improve, and motivating and instilling excellent sporting attitudes in others.
- Exceptional levels of originality, imagination and creativity in their techniques, tactics and choreography, knowledge of how to improve their own and others’ performance and the ability to work independently for extended periods of time without the need of guidance or support.
- A keen interest in PE. A willingness to participate eagerly in every lesson, highly positive attitudes and the ability to make informed choices about engaging fully in.
Wakefield SSP YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM-Ng4ZfVw3Y9E3tAxMpfpw